Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Today's Sample: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fleur de Comores

Fleur de Comores was another unsolicted sample I received with my last LusciousCargo order. According to their site, the notes are "vanilla and fruity" and "balanced by essential jasmine, orange blossom, and vetiver."

However, according to the Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier site, the notes are ylang ylang, wild jasmine, and vanilla. I'm afraid I'll have to side with the MPG folks. I really don't smell any orange blossom in this, and if it's there, it's right at the very beginning. And there's definitely no vetiver--there's nothing green, sharp, or even earthy about this scent.


Instead, it has a brightly sweet opening, and it is "vanilla and fruity" in feel, if not in actual notes. Wikipedia mentions that ylang ylang smells somewhat like custard, which to me always has a bit of a citrus element...anyhow, it does have a rather dessert-like quality, although it isn't really overly sweet. Later, it develops into jasmine underneath a very soft vanilla, and the fruit element disappears completely.


For some reason, I think "wedding cake."


It's quite pretty, and more remarkable than the Nanadebary Pink I wore yesterday, but to me it still needs something either sharp or spicy (or both) to round it out.


*photo from LusciousCargo