Sunday, June 11, 2006

A Minute on the Eyes, No Time on the Thighs*

For the past two years, I’ve bought makeup at the drugstore, the only exception my beloved Stila Tinted Moisturizer (which I’ve replaced with the DuWop Revolution Face…not sure yet which one I like better. Think I’ll test that this week, as I still have about two days’ worth of Stila left.). For the longest time, all of my makeup fit in one little basket and consisted of only what I used every day. But lately, I cannot stop looking at makeup. I feel like I want try everything! And this crazy urge is no small irony for me, considering for the longest time, I could have been the poster child for “le no makeup.”

This morning I cruised over to Gloss.com to see what’s new. I considered ordering some of the new Estee Lauder Azuree Body Oil everyone’s raving about, but they are sold out. (I see a trip to the mall in my near future. That means a giant pretzel as well.) But I did see this Pastel Lip and Eye Palette from Bobbi Brown. Besides the fact that I am a sucker for makeup palettes, I like the fun color choices for summer, especially the lilac and the peach. Bobbi Brown is also offering single Shimmer Wash Eye Shadows, and I have to admit I am intrigued by this Sky color…and usually I would never choose any shade of blue! They suggest pairing it with Grey eye shadow and Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Granite Ink. Sounds very pretty and sophisticated. (I have green eyes and recently darkened my brown highlighted hair to a deep auburn, so I’m not sure how this would translate on me, but my interest is piqued!)


I clicked around a little more and also thought about trying this Beach Shimmer Body Glow, which gives skin a little bronze glimmer. I’m very pale, don’t tan at all, and I’m pretty hopeless with self tanners, so I thought this might give me a nice soft glow at least. I tried the Neutrogena Summer Glow Daily Moisture, and even after exfoliating, all it really did was make my knees and feet look dirty. The Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow I tried smells great and moisturizes well, but I didn’t see much in the way of color. But then again, maybe I should try another one of the lotions, like Jergens Natural Glow, L’Oreal Sublime , or Dove Energizing Moisture. Any one of these is half the cost of the Bobbi Brown…however if I end up having to try all three, I suppose it’s sort of a wash. Hrm.


Next I clicked over to Chanel. I’ve been wanting the Quadra Eye Shadow in Gold Rush, which is what Audrey Tautou is allegedly wearing on the cover of June Allure, but they don’t have it! I haven’t checked at my local Nordstrom or Bloomingdales; maybe it’s available only at Chanel counters? Anyway, I did notice that Chanel’s opening page on Gloss is all about “le no makeup”--or as it says, “Les Naturels de Chanel, Ultra-Wearable Natural Looks.” However, if you click on the links under “The New Neutrals,: it takes you straight to the pages for the Quadra Eye Shadow or Glossimer, with nothing new highlighted for this look. And no Gold Rush. Grr. Edit: After clicking around, I finally found it here, in the Summer Colour Collection.

Nothing is less necessary than a big drawer filled with makeup, yet I find it more fun than anything lately (except maybe perfume…thank goodness for samples!) I can’t say what’s brought on this recent fascination. Maybe the fact that I don’t ever have to exercise or skip desert in order to wear that new eye shadow? Ha!

*Sorry for the heading…my play on “A minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips!”


**photos from Gloss.com