Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Today’s Sample: Antonio Puig Vetiver de Puig

I had a heck of a time finding information on today’s vetiver scent, Vetiver de Puig. Even the Antonio Puig web site doesn’t list the notes—just a short marketing description and the god-awful packaging (the box looks like camouflage). I finally found a few reviews at Basenotes, but that’s about it.

According to Basenotes
, this scent was created in 1978. Strangely, I saw this fragrance for sale from $12.99 to $150.00. Perhaps it was reformulated at some point? From the comments on Basenotes, it seemed this was the case. It wasn’t hard to find for sale, though, so I can’t account for the crazy pricing.

But the scent! The opening is green and grassy, with a very soft hint of citrus that’s short-lived. A reviewer identified part of the scent as celery, which was an apt observation. It does smell of fresh celery a bit (although the reviewer found this scent sour, and I didn’t at all), but the next thing I believe I smell is cedarwood. This scent is woodsy, fresh, and green. Think of a cold, wet day, post-rain, and the smell of wet cedar. Heaven, really. This is what I would classify as a “sweater scent”; it’s cozy and close. If you don’t like cedar or woods, you may find it too masculine, but I would definitely wear it again, most likely in the winter.

*photo from 1stperfume.com