Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Juicy Couture

Juicy Couture was featured on Robin's list of 100 Perfumes Every Perfumista Should Try. First of all, let me go on record: I believe Juicy Couture is responsible for one of the worst crimes possible against fashion, and that is bringing back the sweat suit. The sweat suit didn't need to be brought back. It was fine where it was, back in the Eighties with elastic ankles and cut-out necks and novelty socks that matched it perfectly (worn with Keds, no less). In fact, it was better back then. Why? Because I didn't have to see any woman stuffed into pink velour low-rider sweatpants that were two sizes too small with “JUICY” emblazoned across her butt. I didn't have to see her at the grocery store or the mall or the ChickFilA. I didn't have to see the top half of the tattoo on the small of her back (you know, that's what low-rider sweat pants are for) because the matching jacket was actually three sizes too small (to show off the boob job).

I mean, think about it. If you saw that woman out shopping, would the first thing that popped into your mind be: “Hm, I wonder what perfume she wears?” or something more along the lines of “Girlfriend needs to pull up those pants...or maybe buy some that fit.”

I admit, though, that Juicy Couture does have some cute bags. They also have some really cute shoes. And I also admit that the advertising campaign for this fragrance was eye-catching and fun--and I also admit that this scent is none-too-terrible. There. I said it.

Juicy Couture contains notes of watermelon, mandarin, pink passion fruit, marigold, green apple, water hyacinth, crushed leaves, tuberose absolute, wild rose, princess lily, tuberose, caramel creme brulee, vanilla, precious woods, and patchouli. The top is actually my favorite part, even as fruity as it is, because it bubbles up like a pink champagne cocktail and tickles the nose a bit. It dries to a creamy floral sugary vanilla, and it pretty much stays there, progressing into a soft patchouli and woods at the end that are almost barely discernable. It's pink and playful, warm and cuddly, sugar sans the spice, but it's really rather nice. (Oh shut up. It's already been one of those weeks.) Really, you can't expect harsh patchouli or deep woods from anybody who brought the world pink velour sweat suits, but I can tell you I'd be way more likely to buy a bottle of this perfume than I would to buy low-rider sweat pants. It's much more forgiving, and if I may say so, it's sexier. This is a much better way for a woman to channel her inner Playboy Bunny than tight clothes.

*image from JuicyCouture.com