Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Yosh White Flowers

As I mentioned last week, I have a full bouquet of white floral samples to try, and so the second in line after Do Son is Yosh White Flowers. The notes are jasmine sambac, night blooming jasmine, violet, sweet pea, freesia, tea rose, rose Maroc, gardenia soft, lily of the valley, soft lilac, Egyptian tuberose, and narcissus, with a base of petitgrain and Siberian fur.

What I like about this scent is the slight watery green edge that cuts the floral notes. I also happen to like that the jasmine, tuberose and gardenia are not allowed to dominate, as they so often do in white florals. This perfume oil is quite bright at the beginning. The freesia, lilac and narcissus are most prominent to my nose, riding the soft green wave of petitgrain. The tuberose and the gardenia actually seem to come through later, along with the rose, and they are elements that soften the brighter edge, make it a bit sweeter, more powdery. I'm not catching any of the Siberian fir note, but I probably wouldn't know that note if it bit me on the...well, I wouldn't know that note, but I'm imagining it would bring a bit of woods, if not pine, and I don't get that at all. I like that this scent is a bit powdery in the drydown (violet, perhaps?), rather than green or creamy. It's very refreshing and pretty, wonderful for hot weather, and not overpowering.

Because this is an oil, I'm hoping it will last the day. I didn't feel like I had to apply too much, but then Bob didn't say anything, so either he didn't like it or I wasn't wearing enough. I tend to have a light hand, especially on Wednesdays, as I have a 7:00 A.M. meeting on that day every week, and I'm afraid of offending people who aren't quite awake.

To be honest, White Flowers smells to me a lot like something Ormonde Jayne might create. I love Ormonde Jayne, so this is a compliment of the highest order. However, I could buy an Ormonde Jayne scent at half the price of this lovely perfume oil (or I could buy two Ormonde Jayne scents!), so that makes me think. If I really like something, price is not so much of an issue, but if it's not so far off something else I really like, well...that might change things considerably! I may have to re-sample some of my Ormonde Jayne lovelies, and see how this compares "up-close," so to speak.

*photo from Yosh