Monday, July 31, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

Sunday was my birthday, and I had promised myself when I started all this sampling that I would buy a bottle of something for my birthday. Trouble is, now that I've sampled so much, what? I find that I like so many more perfumes than I dislike, so trying to decide which...well, it seemed next to impossible. To pick one would be to deny myself another, and so...

I decided to buy myself a bottle of L'Artisan Safran Troublant. Unsniffed! Given my recent fascination with vanilla, and given that so many of the perfume reviewers I read regularly have nothing but wonderful things to say about it, I felt unafraid.

I received it on Saturday afternoon, just after I had already applied Opium Fleur de Shanghai in preperation for going out later that evening. I ended up washing off the Opium so I could try it immediately, and I was glad I did. It's spicy and warm without being at all overpowering, and smells like a personal scent, like an aura, really, more than a perfume. The saffron is prominent at the beginning, and the vanilla warms the spice sweetly, tempering it a bit so that the mixture of sandalwood and rose come through and...well, sort of lift this scent off the skin, carry it our into the air. This scent is fragrant like a wonderful tea, honeyed and milky sweetness. I love it! LOVE it!

And now if you'll excuse me, as my birthday month has only hours left, I must finish celebrating, and there's a pint of Ben and Jerry's out there with my name on it.

*photo from LusciousCargo (although I admit I bought my bottle at Aedes)