Friday, November 16, 2007

Random Thanks, Day 5

Today's the last day of my random thanks experiment. Even if you chose not to share anything here, I hope these lists helped you think of the little things that make your life easier, and that it put a smile on your face.

1. Paper goods. I love paper: wrapping paper, cards, blank notebooks, sticky notes, calendars—oh god, I LOVE calendars. It takes every ounce of self control I have during the holidays for me not to buy more than three new rolls of wrapping paper and many boxes of holiday cards (of which I will send approximately two—cards, that is). When I go to TJ Maxx, my first stop is not to look for discounted perfumes or shoes. I go straight to the back, to the aisle where they keep the best thing of all: the blank books. No cheesy covers, please; no little sayings or pictures of puppies. I've already bought two calendars for 2008, a day planner and a letterpress desk calendar I bought off Etsy (bad place for paper addicts), and I'm still hoping someone gets me a wall calendar for my office. And I need one for my desk at home. And also a blank book for all my 2008 to-do lists. And some note cards, so I can thank the people who give me paper.

2. Woody Allen. Four of my favorite to ten movies of all time are Woody Allen movies: Crimes and Misdemeanors (1), Hannah and Her Sisters (4), Annie Hall (6), and Radio Days (9). There are at least four more in my top twenty. I'm obnoxious because I know all the lines, and I have to “sing along with” my favorites when they come up: “Comedy equals tragedy plus time. The night Lincoln was shot, you couldn't joke about it.” (Sorry, I had to get one in.) Yes, terrible about Mia Farrow...but these films are also some of her very best work—notice that she's in three of the top four. They're classics.

3. Elton John. My very first album was Elton John's Greatest Hits, the one where he's sitting next to the piano in the white suit, wearing those big white sunglasses. (You know, like in the picture I have right here.) I was smitten then, and smitten I remain. I know I don't need to list all the songs, right? In fact, I am listening to him as I write this--”Someone Saved My Life Tonight.” I don't even think I can pick a favorite. Okay, maybe “Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters.” Or “Yellow Brick Road.” Or “Bennie and the Jets.” Oh, never mind.

4. Clinique. I've tried a lot of beauty brands, and this is the one I always come back to. Granted, it could be force of habit, as Clinique was the first “big girl” skin care and makeup I ever owned. But seriously I think they just create lovely classic shades in wonderful formulas. Although I still mourn the loss of Dramatically Different mascara, both the High Impact and the Naturally Glossy mascaras are terrific. The lipstick formulas are about the best out there (for me, only Chantecaille really rivals Clinique in this area), and I don't know what I would do without my Black Honey Almost Lipstick. Well, I'd live, of course, but I wouldn't look as good. They aren't daring, but tried and true. I like that.

5. The New York Times. My daily dose of news. To tell the truth, I started reading the NYT online because they had a huge collection of first chapters. I could (and did) spend hours (at work) reading book reviews and first chapters. Eventually I moved on to other sections, like Movies, Arts, Fashion & Style, Health, and yes, even the Technology and News sections. And The Times Magazine! And I must confess, I also love the times because I can click on the real estate links and look at fabulous New York dwellings. Oh, to live in a place where football and dog fights don't count as culture. Sigh.

Bonus: Other Things I Didn't List...
When I came up with the idea to post these random things, my mood was low and my list woefully short. But as I started my little project, I started to add more and more things to the list. Here's a sample of things that didn't make it: Fresca, Alice Munro, Mexican food, Whole Foods, St. Andre cheese, Etsy (although it's kinda sorta there), my Roomba, champagne, spaghetti, traditional (i.e. preppy) clothes, peanut butter, jazz (specifically, John Coltrane), Texas, The Who, Wes Anderson movies, Richard Russo's novel Straight Man, dark chocolate, Larry McMurtry, and monograms. I could go on, but I won't. As you can see, I have plenty of things, great and small, to be thankful for!

*images from (in order): etsy.com, wikipedia, amazon.com, clinique.com, nytimes.com