Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Kicking It 38-Years-Old School

My birthday fast approaches. Every year I buy myself a gift of some sort. Last year, I bought a bottle of Safran Troublant. This year, my budget's a bit smaller, so I decided to have a little fun. Perhaps my savvy readers already know this, but many lovely, swoon-worthy perfumes can be had quite cheaply, so I decided to see what I could score for, say, $50 (excluding tax and shipping). Problem is, I'm having a difficult time choosing. That's where you come in. Usually I'm shy about asking for help, but I'm hoping you'll help me pick my birthday present.

I have four categories:
  • Grab a handful! I choose several lower-priced options.
  • Pick a couple. I select two higher-priced options, or one higher-priced, more refined option with a fun sidekick.
  • This must be the one! I spend the whole shebang on one bottle.
  • Worth Breaking the Bank (But Not by Much). I spend a little more than budgeted, but it's worth it in the end.
Grab a handful!
Help me choose three or four of the following:

Tabu (Dana, 1932)
Notes: rose, orange, jasmine, vetiver, oakmoss, amber, musk

Je Reviens (Worth, 1932)
Notes: Orange blossom, bergamot, violet, clove, rose, jasmine, hyacinth, lilac, orris, ylang ylang, amber, incense, tonka bean, vetiver, musk, moss, sandalwood

Raffinee (Dana, 1972)
Notes: orange blossom, bergamot, tuberose, carnation, vetiver, cinnamon

Nocturnes (Caron, 1981)
Notes: Top: aldehydes, bergamot, mandarin, greens; Heart: rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, tuberose, stephanoitis, lily of the valley, orris, cyclamen; Base: vanilla, amber, musk, sandalwood, vetiver, benzoin

Wind Song (Prince Matchabelli, 1952) (yes, really...good enough for Chaya, good enough pour moi)
Notes: tarragon, coriander, lemon, bergamot, lilac, rose, jasmine, sandalwood, amber, vetiver

Ivoire de Balmain (Balmain, 1980)
Notes: galbanum, bergamot, mandarin, pepper, jasmine, iris, labdanum, tonka bean, patchouli

Replique (Raphael, 1947) (Chaya sent me a sample...this is lovely)
Notes: moss, fruit, woods

Fleur de Rocaille (Caron, 1933)
Notes: mimosa, lilac, jasmine, iris, sandalwood, amber

Pick a couple.
I'll pick any two of the following:

Madame Rochas (Rochas, 1960)
Notes: jasmine, Bulgarian rose, iris, amber, sandalwood, cedarwaood

Miss Balmain (Balmain, 1967)
Notes: gardenia, citrus, coriander, jasmine, rose, amber

Y (Yves Saint Laurent, 1964)
Notes: peach, aldehydes, gardenia, honeysuckle, narcissus, hyacinth, rose, orris, patchouli, vetiver, civet, benzoin

Jessica McClintock (1987)
Notes: jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, cassis, basil, ylang ylang, bergamot

Bal a Versailles (Jean Desprez, 1962)
Notes: jasmine, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, Bulgarian rose, musk, amber

Arpege (Lanvin, 1927)
Notes: Top: bergamot, peach, neroli, aldehydes; Heart: rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, lily of the valley; Base: sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, musk, vanilla

Eau de Merveilles (Hermes, 2004)
Notes: elemi, bitter orange, Italian lemon, Indonesian pepper, pink pepper, ambergris, oak, cedar, vetiver, balsam of Peru and tears of Siam

Aimez Moi (Caron, 1996)
Notes: anise, violet leaf, bergamot, tonka bean, heliotrope, amber, musk, clove

Antilope (Weil, 1945)
Notes: Top: sage, Grasse neroli, bergamot, chamomile; Heart: lily of the valley, jasmine; Base: patchouli, iris, ambergris, vetiver

24 Faubourg (Hermes, 1995)
Notes: bergamot, orange, peach, hyacinth, tiare flower, orange flower, jasmine, orris, sandal, patchouli, amber, vanilla

Ma Griffe (Carven, 1946)
Notes: jasmine, neroli, oakmoss, musk, vetiver

This must be the one!
Select one of these:

Caleche (Hermes, 1961)
Notes: aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, neroli, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, orris, oakmoss, cedarwood, sandal, vetiver

Diorissimo (Christian Dior, 1956)
Notes: lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang ylang, amaryllis, boronia

Agent Provocateur (2003)
Notes: saffron, coriander, Moroccan rose, jasmine, magnolia, amber, musk

Habanita (Molinard, 1921)
Notes: bergamot, peach, strawberry, orange blossom, rose orientale, ylang-ylang, orris, lilac, leather, vanilla, cedarwood, benzoin

Parfum Sacre (Caron, 1992) (I got a sample of this from Angela...lovely)
Notes: lemon, pepper, mace, cardamom, orange blossom, rose, jasmine, rosewood, vanilla, myrrh, civet, cedarwood

Worth Breaking the Budget (But Not by Much)
It would be worth every penny if I chose:

Miss Dior (Christian Dior, 1947)
Notes: sage, gardenia, galbanum, rose, neroli, jasmine, oakmoss, patchouli, cistus, labdanum

Parure (Guerlain, 1975)
Notes: bergamot, lilac, plum, rose, jasmine, wood, earthy forest note, spices

Elixir de Merveilles (Hermes, 2006)
Notes: orange peel, chocolate, vanilla, tonka bean, oak, sandalwood, incense, ambergris, patchouli

L'Interdit (Givenchy, 1957)
Notes: bergamot, green leaves, rose, jasmine, white peach

Let me know your choices!