Thursday, July 05, 2007

Guerlain Metallica, among Other Things

Can I borrow $500?

Because if you'll lend me $500, I can buy the bottle of Guerlain Metallica, pictured here. I would buy it myself, but thanks to our friend Mercury's backpedaling, retrograde ways, I instead had to buy a new ceiling fan (Yes, I used to watch Trading Spaces, and yes, Doug, if by chance you're one or other of the people who actually read my blog, I know they're tacky, but you try living in Atlanta without one...although I am sure you don't sweat, or even perspire.) and a new washing machine. Perfectly good perfume money for the sake of a little wind and some clean clothes. Feh. I could've bought the perfume to cover the smell of sweaty, dirty clothes, no?

In all seriousness, I would probably not be able to bring myself to spend $500 of my or anyone else's money on this perfume, no matter how singular and otherwise unattainable, unless perhaps I (or anyone else) had just won the lottery. But if it were something more like $120--well, then it would be worth it. Maybe even $150. But then I might have to buy something from Frederic Malle instead. I don't know. I get all torn up thinking about it.

Really, it all goes into savings. Dull, but wise.

Guerlain Metallica, or Metalys as it was renamed after a lawsuit was brought against Guerlain by the band Metallica (Was this before or after they went into therapy? Who can respect a rock band that does such a thing?), contains the following notes (via Basenotes):

Top: vanilla
Heart: ylang ylang, bergamot, carnation
Base: iris, tonka bean

This lovely was also discontinued, so it's quite a find. I can't for the life of me understand why this didn't become a staple in the current Guerlain offering, because I like it much better than a somewhat similar-ish scent, L'Instant, which I like plenty but not as much as this one. The most prominent notes here are the carnation, iris, tonka bean and vanilla, so it has a comforting yet sensual powdery feel of a vintage perfume. L'Instant is exactly what its ad conveys: a backless, sexy black dress, a scent for purposeful seduction. Metallica is bias-cut silk satin from the 1940's, seductive in its easy sophistication without giving anything away for free. For some reason, I think of the difference between Angelina Jolie and Helen Mirren, which might make it seem like age is a factor where it is not. Helen Mirren could pull off L'Instant, but I don't think Angelina Jolie could pull off Metallica. Get my drift? (I made myself laugh, using that expression.)

I believe you can still find decants of this wonderful scent if you poke around. Or maybe if you have $500 and are so inclined, you can purchase that bottle on eBay--as long as Mercury doesn't get it first!

*photo from eBay